An End to a Big Year


Could­n’t let 2013 slide away with­out one more post.  This has prob­a­bly been the biggest, most impor­tant year of my life so far.  In roughly chrono­log­i­cal order, I:

  • shep­herded Vol. 54 of the William & Mary Law Review through its remain­ing issues
  • grad­u­ated from law school and won some awards
  • moved back to San Francisco
  • stud­ied for, took, and (ulti­mately) passed the Cal­i­for­nia Bar Exam
  • watched an unseemly num­ber of excel­lent TV shows on Hulu, Net­flix, Ama­zon, etc.
  • got mar­ried to Claire and hon­ey­mooned in Greece
  • started my career as an attor­ney in Sil­i­con Valley
  • was admit­ted to the Cal­i­for­nia State Bar and my local fed­eral dis­trict court

Whew.  Unfor­tu­nately all that activ­ity has left lit­tle free time for blog­ging.  I can’t promise that will change in 2014 — not only because work, com­mut­ing, and life’s other oblig­a­tions take up so much time, but also because the need that has always under­girded my blog­ging is mostly sat­is­fied in other, bet­ter ways.  I started blog­ging to cre­ate an out­let for my inter­est in tech­nol­ogy and the law.  Over the past five years, I’ve been on a path to turn that inter­est into a pro­fes­sion.  I no longer feel a deep need to write about tech­nol­ogy law, because I am prac­tic­ing it every­day. (Not to men­tion that, as an attor­ney, I have to be care­ful about how and the extent to which I express my per­sonal opin­ions on top­ics related to clients’ inter­ests).  I do hope to con­tinue to use this space for per­sonal updates and other posts.

Any­way: Happy New Year!  May you be as for­tu­nate in 2014 as I was in 2013.

Spring Break Updates

It’s been a busy sev­eral weeks.  With some time to kill dur­ing Spring Break, here’s what’s new!

I was selected as the Man­ag­ing Edi­tor for Vol­ume 54 of the William and Mary Law Review.  I’ve spent the past month putting together the year-long pub­li­ca­tion sched­ule, which I must say is quite the com­plex task.  The pub­li­ca­tion process begins in a few weeks; in the mean­time I’ll be doing edi­tor train­ing, putting together resources and tem­plates for the staff, and get­ting ready for a year of hard but reward­ing work.

Claire and I went with another cou­ple (John and Patri­cia) to Asheville this week­end for the South­ern Con­fer­ence bas­ket­ball tour­na­ment.  David­son won, in an epic dou­ble over­time match-up against West­ern Car­olina.  Claire and I also went to the Bilt­more Estate, and John, Patri­cia, and I went for a good long hike in Mon­treat.  There were a few inches of snow on the ground dur­ing the hike, but it was­n’t bad, and as you can see the spec­tac­u­lar view from the top was very much worth it:

That pic­ture was taken using the panorama fea­ture of my Galaxy Nexus.  Not bad for an Android phone, huh?

My brother Wil­son will be return­ing from deploy­ment in the next few weeks.  Hard to believe he’s done already!  He’ll have some time off in order to move across the coun­try to Charleston for his next assign­ment: nuclear power school.  It’ll be great to have him closer by for a lit­tle bit!

I’m look­ing for­ward to the sum­mer, which I’ll spend at Wil­son Son­sini Goodrich & Rosati in Palo Alto.  Cur­rently look­ing for some­where to live in June and July — let me know if you have any leads!

Down Under

Claire and I returned from a 10-day trip to Aus­tralia last week.  It was quite the adven­ture, includ­ing three days on a cen­tury old boat cruis­ing the Whit­sun­day Islands.  Pictures:

We spent 2 days in Syd­ney, mostly walk­ing around the city in the sur­pris­ingly humid heat of the Aus­tralian sum­mer. On the sec­ond day Claire and I did the “bridge climb,” an admit­tedly uber-touristy activ­ity that was def­i­nitely worth it for the view from the top. The next morn­ing we left Syd­ney for Air­lie Beach, where we would catch our ship (the Sol­way Lass).

The boat trip was amaz­ing. We visit lots of dif­fer­ent bays and beaches, tak­ing a smaller raft to do some bush walks or snorkling. There was also a rope swing attached to one of the masts. No shark sight­ings, for­tu­nately! The crew was really great, as were the meals they made for us while under­way. One more night in Air­lie Beach, check­ing out the local bar scene, before our flight the next day.

We returned to Syd­ney for two more over­cast days of explor­ing, includ­ing the Police & Jus­tice Museum that was fea­tur­ing a really inter­est­ing exhibit on female Aus­tralian crim­i­nals. We were sad to have to leave Aus­tralia after such a short visit, but it was a really wel­come break from the San Fran­cisco winter!

Some videos from the trip after the jump…
Read more

Recent pics

Here are some recent pic­tures I’ve taken.

From the BCS Cham­pi­onship Game in Pasadena (Roll Tide!):

From my par­ents’ visit to SF (happy birth­day Mom!):